Upcoming Release of NDSR 2015
NCC is putting the finishing touches on NDSR 2015. Below are some of the major updates and additions made to the program:
- Installation streamlined by providing a download link instead of a CD. See article ‘No More CDs Downloading NDSR’ for further detail.
- Drained solid amounts will now be available as an amount conversion for many canned fish, fruits and vegetable products. Foods that are entered by weight may now have the option to choose “after draining” or “before draining”. Example: Beans, black, canned, drained, regular – 15 oz “before draining” is equal to 1.68 cups, whereas, beans, black, canned, drained, regular 15 oz “after draining” is equal to 2.47 cups. Please note that not all canned foods will have this option.
- For coffee beverages, food specific units (FSU’s) have been added to include short (8 fl oz), tall (12 fl oz), grande (16 fl oz), venti (20 fl oz), shot or solo (1 fl oz), and double or doppio (2 fl oz)
- DHA milk and coconut beverages are now available as variable ingredients for certain foods, such as mashed potatoes.
- Omelet and scrambled egg selections have now been updated and the choices have been streamlined.
- The Dietary Supplement Assessment Module (DSAM) database has been updated with the NHANES 2011-2012 Dietary Supplement Database and NCC maintained supplements.
- Nutrient updates in USDA Standard Reference (SR) 26 have been incorporated.
- Non-nutrient updates (e.g. densities, food specific units (FSU), etc.) along with many food and nutrient updates in USDA SR 27 have been added.
- Updated partial food categories from the USDA Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies (FNDDS) 2011-2012, including eggs, legumes, fruit, fats and sweets.
- Numerous food categories have been updated to better reflect the products available in the marketplace. Updates include:
- The following commercial entrée brands: Lean Cuisine, Pillsbury, Stouffers, Weight Watchers
- The following fast food restaurants: Long John Silver’s, McDonald’s, Pizza Hut, Taco John’s, White Castle
- Artificial sweeteners
- Egg substitutes
- Numerous categories of snacks (e.g. chips, pretzels, party mixes, popcorn, etc.)
No More CDs – Downloading NDSR
With the release of NDSR 2015, NCC (firstname.lastname@example.org) is streamlining the installation process by providing a download link instead of a CD. In July NCC User Support will send an email to you with the subject line “NDSR 2015 Download”. If you do not receive this email check your Spam folder.
In the email there will be a link to download the NDSR 2015 installation. Click the link and you will be directed to Google Drive. No login is required to access this download.
Hover the mouse at the top of the page and an ‘options’ toolbar will drop down. Select the Download icon. Google Drive will warn that it cannot scan for viruses due to file size, click the Download anyway button to continue.
Open the downloaded .zip folder (Administrator rights may be required). Click Extract all files, browse to a location to store the files and click Extract. Note: Files can, and should, be stored in multiple locations (e.g., C: drive, network drive, USB drive, CD).
At this point having Administrator Rights is necessary. Once logged in as a member of the Administrators group, double-click on the setup application to begin the installation.
Continue with the installation instructions in Chapter 2 of the NDSR User Manual.
Support of Older Versions of NDSR
It has become exceedingly difficult to provide technical support for older versions of NDSR because the program may be installed on a computer that the program was not developed or tested on, or the program is installed on a computer using an obsolete Windows operating system.
As a result NCC has decided to no longer provide technical support for versions of NDSR six or more years older than the most current version of the program. This policy will take effect beginning July 1, 2016.
- Supported clients who request assistance on unsupported versions will be assessed a consultation fee, and there will be no guarantee that the issue(s) can be resolved.
- Supported clients using unsupported versions of NDSR will be provided a one-time only time-unlimited password.
- Unsupported clients may request a one-time only time-unlimited password.
This new policy will not take effect until a year from now (July 1, 2016) so that those using older version of NDSR have time to transition to a supported version. We are here to help you with this transition. Please contact us if you need assistance. Clients wishing to continue use of an unsupported version of NDSR should contact us to receive a time-unlimited password. All questions can be directed to User Support.
New Foods Resolution Requests for Older Versions of NDSR
Effective September 1, 2015 New Foods requests made for versions of NDSR that are five or more years older than the most current version of the program will be deducted two new foods for each request made. NCC reserves the right to turn down a request for a new food for a version of NDSR that is five or more years and older than the most current version if insufficient information is available to resolve the food or the version is no longer compatible with the current operating system.
We are making this change in policy because it is substantially more time consuming to resolve foods for versions of NDSR that are five or more years older than the most current version of the program. Please contact User Support if you have any questions.
NDSR Price Update
The price of Annual Support will increase marginally on July 1, 2015. Annual Support on the initial copy will increase by $100 and additional copies of support will increase by $25. For additional price changes, contact User Support.
NDSR Client Survey Thank You
Thank you to all NDSR users who took time to respond to our survey. We appreciate your responses and your input.
NCC will use the survey results to guide us in determining ways to improve our program, database and user support services.
Once again, thank you for helping us as we strive to improve our services and meet your needs.
NDSR | Licensing | Training and Certification |