NCC offers a comprehensive training and certification program for those who license NDSR. The NDSR two-day training workshop includes individual and group practice using the software, learning about the NCC Food and Nutrient Database, conducting dietary interviews, and dietary recall quality assurance. (Please note that experienced NDSR users and those with study-specific or analysis questions may want to contact NCC prior to registration to determine if NDSR training attendance is the best option. The NDSR Training workshop covers how to generate and view data output files but does not include guidance on statistical programming or analysis.)
Training is held on the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis Campus at NCC. The NDSR training workshop has been approved for 15 hours of continuing education credits by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Upcoming NDSR Training Workshops:
The NDSR Training Workshop scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, May 5-6 (rescheduled from April 27-28) will be provided in an online rather than in-person format. Registration for the training will be available through Friday, April 17 or until spaces are filled. Note that we will have up to six seats available for this online training.
The June 15-16 NDSR Training Workshop may also be transitioned to an online format, pending University and CDC recommendations regarding in-person instruction and travel restrictions. Please contact Julia Lorenzana Peasley (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
- Tues/Wed May 5-6, 2020
- Mon/Tues June 15-16, 2020
- Future training dates available on request.
Complete the registration form at least two weeks prior to the workshop to reserve a space.
*Please note training is a two-day workshop on Monday and Tuesday and held at NCC.
Attendance on both days is required.
To request disability-related accommodations, please email Mary Austin at
NCC provides certification to promote a standardized approach for all dietary interviewers working on one research project. Through the certification process, NCC Trainers provide individual feedback on interviewing technique; identify and correct common data entry errors seen in new NDSR users; and coach on using food search, entering amounts and notes, and more complicated entries including assembled foods. Requirements are…
- 1. Attend a training workshop.
- The training workshop includes practice using the software, learning about the database, and the multiple-pass method of collecting dietary data.
- 2. Conduct a baseline recall with an NCC trainer.
- The baseline recall provides information to you and the NCC trainer about the skills developed during training. This is an opportunity to receive individualized instructions on navigating the software and database, and interviewing.
- 3. Conduct ten recalls and send to NCC for evaluation.
- Interviewing ten study-similar subjects provides practice using the software to conduct dietary interviews. NDSR backup files are sent to NCC for review and feedback.
- 4. Conduct a final recall with an NCC trainer.
- The final recall allows you to demonstrate the skills mastered. This is another opportunity to ask questions about the software, database and other issues encountered while collecting dietary recalls.
Training Workshop only, $865 per person
Training Workshop and Certification, $1,415 per person
Training Workshop for University of Minnesota employee, $520 per person
Training Workshop and Certification for University of Minnesota employee, $845 per person
Contact Mary Austin at 612.626.9462 or email@example.com for more information.