NCC offers a comprehensive training and certification program for those who license NDSR. The NDSR two-day training workshop, held via Zoom, includes individual and group practice using the software, learning about the NCC Food and Nutrient Database, conducting dietary interviews, and dietary recall quality assurance. (Please note that experienced NDSR users and those with study-specific or analysis questions may want to contact NCC prior to registration to determine if NDSR training attendance is the best option. The NDSR Training workshop covers how to generate and view data output files but does not include guidance on statistical programming or analysis.)
The NDSR training workshop has been approved for 15 hours of continuing education credits by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Upcoming NDSR Training Workshops:
Registration for the November training will be available through October 28 or until spaces are filled.
- November 15-16, 2021
- January 10-11, 2022
- Future training dates available on request (format TBD).
Complete the registration form at least two weeks prior to the workshop to reserve a space.
*Please note training is a two-day workshop on Monday and Tuesday and held via Zoom from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Central time.
Attendance on both days is required.
To request disability-related accommodations, please email Mary Austin at
NCC provides certification to promote a standardized approach for all dietary interviewers working on one research project. Through the certification process, NCC Trainers provide individual feedback on interviewing technique; identify and correct common data entry errors seen in new NDSR users; and coach on using food search, entering amounts and notes, and more complicated entries including assembled foods. Requirements are…
- 1. Attend a training workshop.
- The training workshop includes practice using the software, learning about the database, and the multiple-pass method of collecting dietary data.
- 2. Conduct a baseline recall with an NCC trainer.
- The baseline recall provides information to you and the NCC trainer about the skills developed during training. This is an opportunity to receive individualized instructions on navigating the software and database, and interviewing.
- 3. Conduct ten recalls and send to NCC for evaluation.
- Interviewing ten study-similar subjects provides practice using the software to conduct dietary interviews. NDSR backup files are sent to NCC for review and feedback.
- 4. Conduct a final recall with an NCC trainer.
- The final recall allows you to demonstrate the skills mastered. This is another opportunity to ask questions about the software, database and other issues encountered while collecting dietary recalls.
We recommend that individuals begin certification within 2-3 months of attending the training workshop. Please note that the certification process must be completed within 2 years of the training workshop. If certification is not completed within 2 years, the certification fee would be charged again when the trainee wishes to be certified.
Training Workshop only, $865 per person
Training Workshop and Certification, $1,415 per person
Training Workshop for University of Minnesota employee, $520 per person
Training Workshop and Certification for University of Minnesota employee, $845 per person
Contact Mary Austin at 612.626.9462 or email@example.com for more information.